Springtime Cafe is located in the incredible Historic Core neighborhood in Los Angeles. We’re so proud to be a part of this community! It may be one of the oldest parts of Los Angeles, but it’s developed a fresh new vibe in recent years. We love being a part of all the exciting things that are happening around us, whether it’s one of the big arts festivals or the renovation of an office building that’s bringing in new life to the area. If you’ve always ordered delivery from our late night restaurant, then you should come visit us in person the next time you need a bite to eat. We’d love to share this amazing neighborhood with you!
Discovering the Historic Core
Where is the Historic Core?
The boundaries of the Historic Core neighborhood are made by four streets: Hill Street, Los Angeles Street, Third Street, and Olympic Boulevard. The area in the middle of these is considered to be the Historic Core.
The History of the Neighborhood
Los Angeles is an old city, especially when compared to a lot of other cities in the United States. It was actually founded in 1781. But the heyday of the city wouldn’t come until the beginning of the 20th century when Hollywood got its start and the golden era of movies began. At this point, the Historic Core was the center of downtown Los Angeles life. The second world war had a devastating effect on the neighborhood, though. The area went into decline as major businesses moved out of the neighborhood to more desirable locations. By the 1960’s, the area that we know and love was plagued by drugs, prostitution, and gangs.
Happily, though, by the start of the new millennium, things began to turn around. The area was prime for redevelopment opportunities and investors saw the potential. Over the next decade, the old run-house office buildings that had been abandoned would be transformed into a mixture of housing and retail establishments. The best part about the transformation is how many of the developers were committed to retaining the charm and elegance of the existing buildings. It’s part of what makes the Historic Core neighborhood such a beautiful place to live, work, and play.
Today, you’ll find a mixture of all walks of life enjoying our neighborhood! Families and professionals love living in the area, where you can enjoy numerous festivals and dine at some of the best restaurants in LA (including Springtime Cafe!). We’re excited to see how the neighborhood develops and improves over the next decade, too!
What’s Happening Around Us
There is always something going on down here! Here are some of the exciting events happening next month in the Historic Core.
- Downtown Dia de los Muertos. Day of the Dead comes to downtown LA! Happening from October 29th through November 5th, these celebrations will be an opportunity to honor the spirits of loved ones who have passed away. There will also be music, celebrations, art, and more.
- Monthly Art Walks. This month’s art walk will be happening on November 9th. It’s a great opportunity to discover up and coming artists working in the LA area.
- Sunday Farmer’s Market. Love buying fresh fruits, veggies, and other items from local sources? Then you’ll love the farmer’s market. It’s happening every Sunday downtown.
- Saturday Historic Theater District Walking Tour. Learn more about the amazing history of the Theatre District while getting in your steps. Any history buff will love to hear the stories shared about the area’s theatric past! It’s happening every Saturday down here.
Other Things You’ll Love Here
Looking for something to do? You’ll find it here. Here are some places to visit and things to do after you grab a bite to eat at Springtime Cafe!
- Visit one of the old movie palaces. Walk along South Broadway and you’ll feel like you’ve stepped back into the Golden Age of Hollywood! Many of the old movie palaces have been restored to their former glory. Today, they show movies new and old and host some of the biggest names in the business.
- Stop by The Last Bookstore. Okay, it might not actually be the last bookstore, but if we had to choose one to last this would be it. The Last Bookstore is filled with over a quarter million new and used books. The way they display all of these books has to be seen to be believed.
- Shake your thing at Exchange LA. This dance club is well known for a reason. It’s a bizarre mixture of art deco and modern techno, and with four floors of a dancing extravaganza, you be able to shake what your mama gave you until the wee hours of the morning.
We’re Here to Meet Your Late Night Food Needs
We know there is so much to do in the neighborhood! That’s one of the reasons that we love it so much. We’re never bored down here, and you won’t be, either. Make a day of it and explore everything the Historic Core has to offer. Whether you choose to start your day with us or end your night here, we’ll be waiting with a menu of delicious eats and drinks that are sure to satisfy. Visit our location on Spring Street. Or, if you just can’t make it in, curl up at home in your pajamas and we’ll bring the food to your door after a long day of exploring the world around you. Visit our menu online and start dreaming about what you’ll be eating!